Smarties Cookies 🍪 (aka M&M cookies)
Kids love these multi-coloured cookies (and adults too!) 🌈 You can also make this recipe without the smarties for a nice soft sugar cookie (in case there is someone in your family that doesn’t like fun!).
“Smarties” is the name of the hard colorful chocolate candy in Europe and Canada which are similar to “M&M’s” in the states, and “Marble chocolate” in Japan. You can use any of them for this recipe 😋
I find the name-brand candy holds its color in the oven, whereas the no-name ones tend to fade, but the taste is the same.
~ 20 cookies
260 g all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
170 g butter (soft or melted)
130 g white sugar
140 g brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200 g smarties candies (or M&M’s)
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until combined.
- Beat the butter, white sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the egg, egg yolk and once combined mix in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet one, and beat only until combined. Once a smooth consistency is reached, roll them into balls ~1 inch wide, and place on parchment lined baking sheet. (If the dough is sticking to your hands, add some flour to your palms, also you can refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to firm it a little if it’s too soft)
- Place smarties/ M&Ms liberally on top of each cookie, flattening them as you push the chocolate in.
- Bake for ~15 minutes at 175 C (350F). The edges will start to go brown once they’re ready. After removing from the oven, allow to cool on the pan for 1-2 minutes before moving to a wire rack.
- Enjoy with coffee or tea!